Monday, July 4, 2011

Pictorial Tutorial... Mean Green

Before you scroll through these pictures please keep in mind that I am by no means a professional makeup artist.  I am simply a chick who enjoys wearing makeup and who has mastered a few techniques that work for me.  

Now that I've gotten that out of the way I thought I'd share today's face of the day...



First and foremost I start with foundation and powder...  I'm currently using Ben Nye foundation and powder and I LOVE IT!   I also have concealer under the eye because a sista has some serious dark circles under her eyes (so not cute)...   Oh and I can't forget this:  I use a mist and set spray from ELF after my moisturizer and before my foundation (it's the best thing since slice bread!), it keeps the shine down and gives your skin a flawless appearance.

I prepped my eye lid with Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer...  followed by MACS Paint Pot in Soft Ochre..   Now, I know that's alot of prepping and priming but I have very oily lids and I like to take extra precautions in preventing creasing...  As you can see I place the Paint Pot all over the lid up to the brow bone and I used my Sonia Kashuk Blending Brush to place the Paint Pot evenly over the entire lid.  Immediately after priming the eye I did my brows and I added a highlight color...
 
Using the NYX Jumbo Pencil in Milk I covered and blended the jumbo pencil into my lower lid using a Mac 252 large shading brush.   Note:  when using the NYX pencils make sure you don't use too much, it tends to do something to the eyeshadow.  I can't explain it, but it makes it appear cakey...  I blended the pencil  up to my crease.   

Next I went in with my Sonia Kashuk shading brush and I placed a medium green color on the outer lid,  I stayed below the crease...

I flipped the brush over and I placed a lime green in the outer corner of the lid and I met the medium green color eventually blending the 2 colors in the middle.  NOTE:  when I placed the shadows on my lid I packed them on...  I tend to be on the heavy handed side, which works for me because I like my colors to pop so I use a lot of shadow.  However I recommend starting out light and building the color to your desired effect.  

   
Next I went in with my Sonia Kashuk Crease Brush and I blended in a darker green in the crease area and slightly above the crease...  NOTE:  I only placed the darker green to the middle of my crease, I stopped where the lime green and the medium green met.  I packed it on lightly, just enough to allow the shadows to blend together.














This is how your eyes should look once you have added the color to the crease.
    Then I went in with a Sigma Pencil brush and I applied a brownish green to the crease line.  This is the how your eye should look once you have added your color to the crease...  I also took the pencil brush and drew a line from the outer crease to the lower lid which created an outer "V" shape...


         




And now for the fun part!  I used a flesh tone color from Ben Nye and using windshield wiper motions I blended the look together...  I payed special attention to the middle eye area...
Ugggggh...  everything got all screwy with the picutres and the descrpitions...  SORRY!  any who, once everything was blended I added my eyeliner...  I tend to use the shadows that I'm working with for eyeliner...  I place the eyeliner on the lower lash line using a flat angled brush...  Here is the final result:


I promise to do better with my descriptions...  I see why people make videos, you can talk as you go... 

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Teal! That was awesome! Can I put in a request? An eye brow tutorial please! I am struggling with them lately and have over plucked....as usual. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got you Ashley! Are you still coming this way this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eyebrows of DEATH!!! You look gorge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the blog. So informational. I am in the market for new brushes. I am still kicking myself for buying to MAC brushes for $60. Can you recommend some less expesive alternatives?

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes indeed! check out sigma brushes online, they are a close second to MAC, they run about $10 a brush... Sonia Kashuk at target is also an excellent brush line... Thank you for commenting!

    ReplyDelete