Monday, January 24, 2011

Brush Obsessed...

I found myself strolling the cosmetics aisle at Target over the holidays and I came face to face with e.l.f.’s “C” Brush (A flat, dense eyeshadow brush perfect for applying shadow to the lid)…  Now before I go into my fascination with the “C” Brush let me tell you about my experience with e.l.f brushes.   When I was on my back recovering from foot surgery I just had to get a few brushes from e.l.f. I figured they were cheap as hell, so why not give them a try?  Well, first and foremost you know how the saying goes, “you get what you pay for” and I paid all of $1.00 or $2.00 for the brushes and they were some crap.  2 of the 3 were broken (not a good look e.l.f.)!  So I was turned off by my first experience with e.l.f. and then came the stroll down Target’s cosmetic aisle and I don’t know what drew me to the e.l.f section but it was as if the makeup gods shined there light on the “C” brush, and I got this tingly feeling in my eyeballs and fingertips, and the next thing I know I’m whipping out the visa bankcard… what can I say, I HAD TO HAVE IT!  Lol
 

So I get it home and I start playing with the brush with my finger tips…  OMG, it’s so soft, so fluffy, so inviting…   I bathed her, cuz she was funky, and once she dried (it took forever), I broke her in and boy was I happy with the results…  The “C” Brush makes for one helluva smokey eye, now I’m one of these chicks that prefers a natural bristle brush, I mean really, what in the hell is “Taklon”?  lol but I must admit  I was hooked…  the “C” Brush has my FULL attention.

(My glitterific "C" Brush)

I figured that the “C” Brush was so awesome that the other brushes in e.l.f.’s Studio line must be awesome too… so I carry my happy tail to the e.l.f. website and I find myself perusing the Studio brush line and we all know what happened next! I ordered a few (no control AT ALL… this makeup thang got a sista in full OCD mode), not only did I order a few but I ordered the complete set…  I figured at 50% off it was  a cheap purchase…  so I got 11 Studio brushes for $15.00 now out of the 11 brushes only a few gave me that tingly feeling, but who cares I’m a self confessed makeup brush hoarder -  looking for brushes that work for me!


 (The complete "Studio" Brush set...  did I mention that the handles are "glitterific?  [I made that up])

A detailed review of ALL the brushes is on its way to computer near you…

 (The 3 I'm dying to experience one of them being another "C" Brush!  lol We have the "Contour" brush for detail work, the "Powder"  brush which will become my foundation brush and if I LIKE it, I'll purchase a better quality one from MAC.)


But before I go, have I mentioned that I have a ton of MAC brushes that I dug up and the brushes are in excellent condition?  Why I feel the need to purchase more brushes is beyond me!  lol 

6 comments:

  1. Lol! We make up lovers tend to develop a passion for brushes, for sure! It happens the same to me!
    XOXO from a new follower,

    Catanya

    ReplyDelete
  2. What would you reccomend as far as brush cleaning? And how long do you keep brushes? I love brushes, the best one I have found so far is the Bare Minerals Foundation brush, even though I don't use Bare Minerals......but it is so soft and cleans and drys very nicely. But I am now using a Lancome liquid foundation and so I am using sponges to apply....which I hate. What do you reccomend for applying liquid?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ashley H! lol

    For daily brush cleansing I use ELF's Daily Brush Cleaner, it's pretty good for in between cleaning and it's affordable. For major cleanings which I do every 3 days I use baby shampoo and I have been known to use baby wash. I have had my MAC brushes for way over 7 years BUT up until recently I probably used them 15 or 20 times... I have found that the lifespan of the brush really depends on the quality and the maintenance of the brush... once the brushes start to lose their shape and they begin to shed, I retire the brush.

    In regards to applying foundation, I was also a sponge girl but now I use a flat top stipple brush which makes for a flawless finish. Now I have to admit it's a little awkward in the beginning but the end result is out of this world... I suggest giving it a try over the weekend and after 2 or 3 tries you’ll find it easy to use, I also think that you use less foundation when you apply with a brush...

    Oh, and I learned how to apply using the stipple brush by watching some of the ladies on you tube!

    Thank for stopping by Ashley...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catanya, thanks for stopping by! I'm not sure how I missed your comment but I look forward to hearing and learning more from you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Teal! I am going to look up that "stipple" brush today and try to order one. Here in FARGO, we don't have a Sephora, so I am limited to the internet and Target/Walmart/CVS/Macys for my makeup shopping.

    Another question for you that doesn't really relate to this thread. I have a minor spot of redness/rosaeca on my right cheek. It is EXTREMELY hard to cover. Horrible. I have tried the whole yellow/green bases, they don't work for me all that well. I have been searching far and wide for the perfect concealer/foundation to give me good coverage. I loved bare minerals, but after awhile it started to make me itch. I am now trying Lancome liquid. It is ok, but not great and it is very spendy. Anything you are reading or seeing out there on covering up redness and what is best?

    On a sidenote, being the vain girl about my face that I am..... I am having a broadband light laser procedure done on my face at the end of the month to try to tone down the red spot and also try to decrease the size of my pores, so I will keep you updated on how that works out and might then in turn make my makeup search a little easier!

    :)
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola Ashley!


    Have you considered a theatrical concealer? Ben Nye comes to mind. On another note, I worked with you for several months and I never noticed it, you should ask your friends if they can see it... I have found that things that bother me 9 times out of 10 aren't visible or noticeable to the naked eye or the next person, because I know it's there I'm a little more aware of it than the next person. So keep that in mind before you do anything drastic, and if nothing else check out Ben Nye.

    ReplyDelete